Tipping Wedding Vendors: Who Gets Tipped and How Much
Table of Contents
Tipping wedding vendors is completely optional and should never be forced on you.
Some vendors offer tipping as part of their fees. This is common for catering and waitstaff.
Generally as a rule of thumb, great service should dictate if tipping your vendors is warranted.
As in any other service industry, if your wedding vendor does an exceptional job, tips are always appreciated. It’s a case by case basis and depends on your individual experience and what you believe to be fair.
In our research we’ve compiled a number of leading resources on etiquette and tipping to provide you a good general guideline for which vendors generally are tipped and by how much. Individual markets will indicate varying prices but this is a good starting point.
Tips on Tipping
- Tips should be given discreetly, in cash, and in individual envelopes.
- Tips should be distributed by the reception host, best man, or the wedding coordinator right before the vendor leaves.
- Vendors love thank you cards, kind words and glowing reviews if you enjoyed their services.
Hotel and Catering Staff
- Caterer: 15%-20% of the total food and beverage bill (Usually included in the contract. Distributed to waiters, waitresses, table captains)
- Bartender: 10% of bar bill (if separate from catering and not accepting tips from guests)
- Parking Attendants: .50 – $1.00 per guest
- Limo Drivers: 10%-15% (sometimes included in package)
- Powder Room Attendants: .50 – $1.00 per guest
Wedding Professionals (Generally Tipped)
- Wedding Planners: 10% – 20%
- Clergy/Officiants: $100
- Alter Servers: $10 – $25
- Musicians (Cantors, Organists, Strings): $25 – $50
- DJ: 10% – 20%
- Band: 10% – 20%
- Hair/Make-up: 15% – 20%
Wedding Professionals (Generally Not Tipped)
If outstanding service is provided, between 5% – 20% is acceptable for:
- Wedding Consultant
In the end if your wedding vendor went above and beyond what they were required to do, helped make your day exceptional or otherwise took care of you tipping wedding vendors is always appreciated.